Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Movie of da week- King of Kong

I was totally ready to crack open the movie vault and pull out a gem from the past to recommend for this week's viewing pleasure when a ray of golden sunshine suddenly pierced the murky darkness cast by the otherwise horrid offerings up for grabs this week.

Looking over such sure-to-be box office hits as Strange Wilderness, The Eye, Over Her Dead Body and that new Hannah Montana movie, I realized the silver screen was looking pretty terrible this weekend. While Strange Wilderness will probably have its funny moments, I can't help but feel it's going to be nothing more than the same stoner jokes and boobie-obsessed nonsense that has become a trademark of Happy Madison films and the like.

The Eye is going to be another crappy Japanese horror movie rip-off while...You know what. I think it's safe to say I don't have to comment on Over Her Dead Body or the Hannah Montana sing-along. Both frighten me and should frighten you as well...Moving on.

When I brought up the list of DVD releases theis week my eyes caught Lake Placid 2 and, immediately following, my brain shut down completely. Seriously? Is this how we're spending our money and time now? Anyway, stumbling over the rest of this week's disc-y craptitude, I finally ran smack-dab into one of the easiest recomendations ever- King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters.

If you like-a the videogames, just go ahead and buy this one. If you like-a the funny, smartly crafted and oddly moving, you could do far, far worse than to rent this spectacular documentary chronicling one man's quest to beat the all-time high score in his favorite arcade game.

No comments: