Monday, January 14, 2008

The Golden Globes- Lamefest 2008

Well, the Golden Globes came and went and nobody seems to be the wiser. Thanks to the Writers Guild strike, what used to be yet another excuse for all the glittering celebs to don borrowed Gucci was turned into a press conference of sorts complete with bad editing and utterly unnecessary frills. If you're going to half-ass it, at least half-ass it well. Gimme the list and the winner. I don't need all the extra jibba-jabba.

One thing I've noticed over the past couple years is the fact small Hollywood is shining brighter than ever. Low budget films are drawing some serious talent these days, not because it's the "in" thing, but rather it's the only place to turn for story-driven works that aren't crappy sequels or remakes.

Unfortunately, I have not seen this year's best picture winner Atonement. It's on my to-do list, just not very high up. Alls I know is, it had better be a damn fine film to best No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood at the same time. Given how much I love those two films, I have a feeling Atonement getting the Golden Globe has set my expectations of the movie far too high. It looks like a particularly good war-time romance, but nothing I haven't seen in one form or another multiple times. Obviously, I'll reserve such judgment until AFTER I actually get to see the thing.

I'm not a huge fan of the Globes, so I'll continue my shameless man-love for Daniel Day-Lewis and Javier Bardem for just a moment more and be done with it. Yes, there were tons of awards, but none were given out to anyone I care about so much as these two in 2007.

I was afraid, given Bardem's large role in No
Country For Old Men as Anton, my favorite silenced-shotgun carrying psycho, he would be up against Day-Lewis' Daniel Plainview from There Will Be Blood for the best actor nod. Flip a freaking coin. (Get it!?) They were both unstoppable. Thankfully, however, Day-Lewis was up for best actor (win!) and Bardem took home the shiny spherical statue for supporting actor. Woot!

For the full list of results, feel free to click here and give em a gander. Otherwise, if anyone has seen Atonement, I'd love to hear your opinion. Is it really THAT good?

No comments: