Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Elite XC Saturday Night Fights

I'm not going to pretend I know all that much about the sport of MMA.

Sure, I started watching when the first Ultimate Fighter hit VHS back in the day and have been watching ever since, but my mind isn't "sports oriented" enough to keep track of everything under the MMA sun.

Like many casual fans, my knowledge of MMA is mostly isolated to what goes on within the UFC octagon. That's exactly why I'm so excited for the first primetime Elite XC event airing on CBS this Saturday at 9 p.m. ET/PT. I've watched countless fights in other leagues/promotions, but seldom do I get to watch a full card from anything not commentated by Joe Rogan and The Amazing Leaning Man.

I know enough about Kimbo Slice and James Thompson to guess this week's main bout is going to be more show than tell, but I'm genuinely excited to see what the remaining eight fighters have to show for mixed martial arts outside of the house that Dana thinks he built.

As an added bonus, I get to watch Gina Carano, a.k.a. Crush to you Gladiator fans, step down from the Joust podium and show us what she's really made of. I'm nervous the driven Kaitlin Young is going to break her gorgeous face, but here's hoping Carano puts up a decent performance despite the distractions and two-week training window.

Do yourselves and the sport a favor and check out the Elite XC fights this weekend. It's perfectly free and almost guaranteed to be worth your time.

No comments: