Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Uncharted resistance

This post is a two-for-one deal. Resistance: Fall of Man has been out for the PS3 a full year, so I doubt anything I have to say will do much to sway anyone’s buying decision. The short of it is this; buy it. Also, I’m only a third of the way through Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune, but I couldn’t wait until review time to do a post on this (so far) stellar game. So, I’m just going to give you a few thoughts on both titles and call it a day.

I only picked up my PS3 about five months ago and finally got around to playing Resistance recently. As far as first-person shooters go, this one’s fantastic. The maps are decently creative, the graphics are tops and the action is extremely fierce. Unlike many FPS titles, the enemies not only vary in look, but also in the tactics they use, the tactics you should use to beat them, weapon choice, speed, etc. In other words, you don’t spend ten hours killing the same guys over and over.

Also a nice change from the norm was the weapon selection. Along with a few staples like the automatic rifle and rocket launcher, the Chimeran weaponry is very unique. Even weapons that seem like run-of-the-mill fare offer an odd twist. The guns are fun to shoot, plain and simple.

It takes a lot to impress me in an FPS and Resistance: Fall of Man has done just that. It does nothing to reinvent the wheel, but it’s one of the smoothest, most entertaining regular ole’ wheels to date. And that’s not even including the multiplayer.

Got it? Good. On to Uncharted. According to the game clock I’m about 33 percent through this title and, man, has it been a fun 3.5 hours. I’m a completion whore, so I’m going to guess this one at a little over ten hours total to seek out all the little extras and screw around with a few of the puzzles. As such, as good as this game is, I can’t necessarily recommend you run out and buy it just yet. Sure, there are 60 additional treasures to find and 1000 points worth of random “badges” to acquire, not to mention four difficulty levels, but at 60 bucks a pop, I have a hard time telling anyone to buy just about anything these days when a double rental for ten dolla could give you the full experience.

With stunning visuals, exciting firefights and vertigo inducing platforming filling every second of those ten or so hours, its easily some of the most fun I’ve had in a video game all year. If you can spare the money to pick up a game right now, I say go for this one. If you’re pinching your pennies on the fence, be sure to try it before you buy it. The mix of genres might not be everyone’s cup-o-tea. As for me, it’s been money well spent.

No comments: