Thursday, July 24, 2008

Movie of da week: The X-Files- I Want to Believe

I'm just going to get this out of the way...I hate the title for the new X-Files movie. There. I said it.

Now that that bit of ugliness is behind us, I'm going to very cautiously give this one my recommendation for the week.

Let's get one thing straight here. I absolutely love The X Files. I watched on TV every week growing up, I own all nine seasons (bootleg Asian AND legitimate American copies) and the first movie on DVD and I currently have a Fox Mulder FBI ID in my wallet. I think it's safe to say I'm an X-Phile.

However, I'm also NOT an idiot. When a movie comes out many-a year after a series has drawn to a close (on a three-season stink run, no less), it's a pretty safe bet this one is in it just for the money.

Considering the fact only about five people on this planet did not get out to see The Dark Knight last week, maybe I Want to Believe will manage to at least pay for itself and make all the fanboys/girls happy.

Really, as a fan, that's all that matters to me. I'm not expecting brilliance here. All I want is a decent story with enough "love letter to the fans" moments to make me mist up with nostalgia.

So long as that happens, I'll consider the new X-Files movie a success. In retrospect, maybe the title is fitting.

No comments: