Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Games to get in July

July can mean only one thing. I'm sure it means many things, actually, but in the world of gaming it can only mean the annual drought is officially upon us.

Rather than space quality titles throughout the months when the majority of the gaming masses are out of school and looking for something to do, developers have once again seen fit to cram their biggest hitters into the months just before Christmas. Ah, capitalism.

For the months of July and August of 2008, that means not a whole hell of a lot will be going on. Part of me welcomes the extra time to catch up on my backlog of games while part of me wonders if I would ever need to "catch up" if games came out in a steady trickle as opposed to a sudden downpour in the last quarter of the year.

Anyway, here are a few titles that might be worth your time.

July
7th- Unreal Tournament III (360)
8th- Civilization Revolution (PS3, 360, DS)
22nd- Final Fantasy IV (DS)
26th- Soulcalibur IV (PS3, 360)

Mostly niche titles, I'm not personally too excited about anything out this month.

While UT3 finally hits the 360 this month, I'm guessing a certain other shooter will not be loosening its hold on the online frag-fest demographic any time soon. Sadly, I don't think there's a market for UT3 at the moment.

Civilization IV is dandy and gorgeous, but again, it's not a title a huge chunk of the gaming population can sink their teeth into. Too much of that thinkin' business.
Soulcalibur IV looks like a great fighter, but for $60, that particular genre is losing its luster for me.

Finally there's Final Fantasy IV for the DS. I've officially sworn off these remakes until they decide to combine FFI through VI in a single, definitive package. I can only own so many versions of the same damn game and, frankly, a package deal would be far more bang for the buck when there's so little being added save a dungeon or two and a new coat of paint.

No comments: