Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Movie of da week- In Bruges

This week's movie recommendation might be hard to track down. I'm pretty sure it's opening in limited release at first, but I'm willing to bet it's worth the hunt.


In Bruges gets a nod based on cast alone. I'm a fan of Colin Farrell, and a huge fan of both Ralph Fiennes and Brendan Gleeson. What little I've seen of the action and dialogue in the trailer have me itching for more. Reminiscent of films like Snatch or Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, if nothing else, In Bruges should have enough bang-bang and witty one-liners to keep interest up.

The film is about an "odd couple" set of hitmen who, after an assignment gone wrong, find themselves laying low in the less-than-exciting city of Bruges. A rival hitman shows up and, of course, Bruges becomes a whole lot more exciting in the process.

Being director Martin McDonagh's first big budget project, I'm not necessarily expecting anything revolutionary here. I do, however, expect to enjoy the back and forth banter and stylish gunplay almost certain to occupy the majority of the film's runtime.

No comments: