Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Games to get in June

For the first time in as long as I can remember, I’m genuinely pleased to be saying these words: The summer gaming drought has begun.

Wallets everywhere may exhale a collective sigh of relief as only a handful of noteworthy titles will be shipping this July.

If you don’t see anything here that tickles your fancy, I’m sure something from the past six months of overflow can be found in a bargain bin or two.

June
8th- Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (PSP)
8th- Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 (PS3, 360, Wii)
27th- Sin and Punishment: Star Successor (Wii)
29th- Singularity (PS3, 360)

Apparently Puzzle Quest 2 got pushed to July 22, so those who missed it in June now know where to find it.

Singularity is one of those “wait and see” titles that could either turn out to be an awesome FPS or something more akin to, say, Fracture or Haze. I have high hopes, though, so it made the list.

Anyone gaming on the Wii has access to the first Sin and Punishment, an N64 rail shooter that never made its way to the States, courtesy of the virtual console. Thankfully, us English speaking folks will get a crack at the sequel from the get-go. This one’s likely to become another cult favorite.

I’m sure there’s an inappropriate joke to be made about Tiger Woods here but, for the life of me, I can’t think one up. His game will likely be as good as ever, though, so you sports fans can be sure to check that one out.

Finally, who couldn’t do with a little more Metal Gear? My favorite series of all time returns to the PSP and this time it’s packing progressive stats, co-op, a canon story and more. While I’m a little bummed such an ambitious title is headed to the PSP rather than a console (the controls just aren’t ideal), I’m sure the countless hours of tactical espionage action on the go will help make up for cramped hands.

No comments: