Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Super Smash Brothers Brawl: review

Okay, so I wasn't the biggest fan of the previous two Smash Bros. games.

Before you break out the flame swords, just know this was largely due to the fact I owned neither a Nintendo 64 nor a Gamecube and never got the chance to really sink my teeth into either title other than being mercilessly beaten by friends who had the system and would not so much as let me learn the controls before pwning myn00bish ass. I'm not bitter or anything...Just saying.

Anyway, since I have a Wii and next to nothing else worth mentioning has come out for the system in a while, I figured I'd let myself get swept up in the hype and give Super Smash Brothers Brawl a fighting chance. (Damn I'm hilarious)

So, yeah, count myself glad I did. SSBB is a top-notch brawler boasting a control scheme so well thought out it's perfectly suitable for button mashers and those in need of a deeper experience alike.

Along with enough fan-service in the form of characters, levels, music, stickers, trophies, etc. to smother a (insert clever comparison here), Brawl offers a unique side-scrolling platforming adventure, a level editor, four control schemes, mini-games and an online mode to boot. Yes, online is crippled, but it's a decent diversion every now and again.

Throw in a dash of uuber-collectibles and more than one way to unlock everything (for those who don't like grinding just to play as Snake) and you have yourself an entertaining single or multi-player experience that should last for hours upon hours of bruising good times.

If you own a Wii, I can't really think of a reason for you not to pick this one up. Unless you hate yourself, that is. And you don't hate yourself, do you?

No comments: