Friday, August 6, 2010

UFC 117: Silva vs. Sonnen- Echo calls it

Following a great card a couple weeks ago on Spike, the UFC is back to the regular pay-per-view schedule and this weekend’s fights feature plenty of combatants to get excited about.

Here’s a look at the main card.

Roy Nelson vs. Junior Dos Santos
This fight is tougher to call than I’d like it to be simply because Nelson and Two Santas are such polar opposites. Dos Santos is tall and lean while Nelson, how can I put this…Isn’t. Nelson also works best when he’s lying on top of someone, trying to cut off their air supply with his amazing girth. Santos, on the other hand, is a top-notch striker. Nelson looks to have some pretty hard hands, but I don’t think those are going to do him much good standing against Dos Santos. You know what, no more pussy-footing around on this one. I see Dos Santos overwhelming Nelson quickly, dropping him, them beating him into submission. Da’end.

Clay Guida vs. Rafael Dos Anjos
This is one of those matters of going with my heart over my head. Guida get’s into trouble pretty regularly against fighters with a strong ground game and that is exactly what Two Years has to offer. (Two Spanish jokes in one post. I’m on a roll.) I don’t see Anjos winning any other way. Guida is a machine on his feet and, while not the most technical fighter, the dude doesn’t possess an off switch. He’s also desperate for a win on a big card, so I don’t see him disappointing this time. I hope not, anyway.

Jon Fitch vs. Thiago Alves
If you could see the excited bathroom dance I’m doing right now, you’d probably laugh. These dudes stack up so nicely, I don’t see how this fight can’t turn out to be one of the best of the night. Both are well rounded fighters, but Alves definitely has the edge if the fight stays standing. Fitch knows this, though, and will probably try to take the match where he’s more comfortable. Then again, Alves is no slouch on the mat, either. Not sure where the fight will end, but I have a feeling it’ll be Alves coming out on top for this one.

Matt Hughes vs. Ricardo Almeida
I desperately want Almeida to retire Gran’daddy Hughes. In case you couldn’t tell, I hold grudges. Hughes’ disrespect for older fighters earlier in his career seems even more laughable now that he’s turned into the target of his ill comments. Almeida is reaching for the top and knocking down a legend of the sport is a good way to get a boost. They have basically the same skill set, but Hughes has a clear experience advantage. If this fight doesn’t go to the ground quickly, I’d be amazed. From there, I hope Almeida manages to find a stray limb or two to test against his submissions.

Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen
I feel silly even writing this. Sonnen has heart and he works pretty well from the ground, but you have to get Silva to the ground for that to matter and, even then…Are we really even discussing this? I don’t doubt Sonnen will push the fight and try his damndest to pull off the upset. But he’s going to make very little progress in those two minutes of consciousness. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Silva is too good for anyone in his division in the UFC. He might be too good for anyone in the UFC in general, which is why I’m delighted to be the first to announce his next fight after a commanding victory over Sonnen. At UFC 122, Anderson Silva will be dipped in barbeque sauce and made to fight a live grizzly bear. To keep things fair, Silva will also be wearing a shock collar programmed to go off every time he tries to showboat.

No comments: