Friday, November 20, 2009

UFC 106: Ortiz vs. Griffin 2- Echo calls it

Sorry about missing 105. Work has gotten really busy thanks to the upcoming holiday and that's meant three weeks in a row now I won't be able to watch the fights live. *wipe a manly tear*

Anyway, we're back in action now and this week's card is looking pretty stacked. Roll it!

Amir Sadollah vs. Phil Baroni
I'm not a fan of Amir's hair, but Baroni also sounds an awful lot like jabroni, and that can't be good either. Seriously though, we have an untested kid versus a guy who hits just about as much as he misses. That being the case, both guys probably have a lot to prove. Either Baroni will continue his trend of mediocrity or Amir will have a decently experienced stepping stone to introduce himself to the world. Somehow, I see Baroni's experience winning out as Amir falls unconscious to the mat.

Luiz Cane vs. Antonio Nogueira
This fight should be pretty explossive. Both guys like to beat the crap out of their opponent and both are really good at it. Cane's got youth on his side, and he's not exactly new to the game, but Nogueira is a more dangerous animal. I'm leaning towards Nog on this one. Once again, I'm calling it a knockout.

Paulo Thiago vs. Jacob Volkmann
Thiago will submit Volkmann. That's all there is to this one. Coming off his first loss, there's no better medicine than to ruin the perfect record of a competitor and that kind of motivation can put quite a bit of fire in a man's heart.

Josh Koscheck vs. Anthony Johnson
Maybe I'm not giving Johnson enough credit here, but I think Koscheck is too strong and too talented a fighter for him. Kos is likely to find a stray limb and see how far it bends, but I wouldn't be surprised by it going to decision. Either way, Johnson ain't winning.

Tito Ortiz vs. Forrest Griffin
Their first fight was an absolute battle, so I'm more than ready for round two between Ortiz and Griffin. Ortiz has been out of the game for a year and a half finally getting his back fixed, so I thought he'd be in over his head on this return fight. What I've seen of his training, though, has me impressed. I'd go so far as to say he looks about as good as he ever has. Griffin, though, has grown a lot since he and Ortiz first met. While Ortiz was off in la-la land, Griffin was fighting some of the best athletes the sport has to offer. He took a couple big losses in that time, but I doubt that's blown any of the wind out of his sails. I'm expecting another slug-fest here, though I don't know if either fighter has enough powder in the keg to knock the other out. I'm expecting another decision and my heart is telling me it's going to Griffin this time.

No comments: