Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Monday mini-movies: Bicycle beatdown



That. Just. Happened.

Did you see that? Did ya?

I, in no way, support police brutality of any kind. However, I have a hard time feeling much sympathy for anyone taking part in a protest like that.

What better way to protest and claim cyclists have equal rights to the road than to break literally every law "of the road" en masse. For some things, sure, that's the point of "protesting." But nine times out of ten, when I see a cyclist on the road, they're doing anything but following the law. Cutting across traffic, not signaling, ignoring stop signs and the like.

Maybe I'm just being a jerk (likely), or maybe it's just that I hate road cyclists (not so much likely as it is a fact). In all honesty, though, I hope that cop was punished to the utmost. My personal feelings about cyclists aside, there's no excuse for that kind of behavior...Than again, the other guy WAS a cyclist.

3 comments:

MGS said...

You really should lighten up your attitude toward law-abiding bicyclists. What have they done to you? Such hateful attitudes might have to be reported to Sheriff Joe and the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office....Doesn't your editor ride a bike, often on the road? What would he say about such a dispirited diatribe? MGS

-Ryan Winslett said...

There's the key: "law-abiding bicyclists." For me, those words are like "magical unicorn." I've never seen one.
I kid. I kid.
...Or do I?

Anonymous said...

Judging by how you look in your autobiographical Echo picture, I would venture to say you have seen a magical unicorn or two in your lifetime. In fact, isn't that the mascot for Parker. I kid. I kid. ....Or do I?