Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Yay evolution: Weezer- The Red Album review

When I first heard Weezer's debut single off The Red Album, "Pork and Beans," I experienced some icy-hot emotions.

At first I was happy because the track is both fun and catchy, as the lyrics imply. I was upset, though, because the song sounded almost too much like Weezer. I loves me some Weezer, but I guess I had built up some hope that the boys would try something a little different this time around.

When I picked up Red last week I was delightfully surprised. "Pork and Beans" is literally the most standard fare available on the album. While not as commercial as Make Believe or as emotional as Pinkerton, Red manages to give listeners a dose of all things Weezer including some very new sounds.

While songs like "The Angel and The One" could comfortably settle on the before mentioned Pinkerton and "Everybody Get Dangerous" would sound appropriate on Make Believe, tracks like the epic "The Greatest Man That Ever Lived" and Petty-esque "Thought I knew" are wholly different creations.

While not necessarily reinventing their wheel, Weezer has proven their willingness to at least experiment with rims and snow chains. (Holy crap that was a stretch.)

If you have the option, definitely pick up the deluxe edition. The additional four songs would not have fit in the lineup too well, hence their omission, but they are some seriously great tunes.

No comments: