Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Movies to miss in July

With films like The Dark Knight and Hellboy II hitting the silver screen this month, it's nice to see such little in the line of poo trying to clutter the marquee.

On DVD, though, there are still plenty of flicks to steer clear of.

Meet Dave: Did you hear that? That was the sound of Eddie Murphy's career plummeting another notch or ten. I'm going to go so far as to say I am less interested in Meet Dave than I was in Norbert. I love Eddie when he's used properly and, sorry, but this ain't it.

Vantage Point: What has the potential to be a taut thriller unravels quickly into a mess of crossing plots and nothing worth paying attention to. If you're going to use the approach of "six people, one crime, all see something different," you had better at least present it in a way you don't need a road map to follow. Oh, and making it interesting would help, too.

Tyler Perry's Meet the Browns:
I have seen none of Tyler Perry's work and I'll tell you why- I can't stand the fact his name is tacked on to every damn thing he does. Tyler Perry's Meet the Browns. Tyler Perry's House of Payne. Yyler Perry's raging ego is more like it.

Superhero Movie: Once again, I will not even justify this flaming pile of crap (along with nearly every other film of its ilk) with further comment save to say please, please, please do not spend your money on this. You'll only confuse the studio into assuming that means you want more.

Step up 2 the streets:
Much like my irrational hatred of anything Tyler Perry, I also have a massive dislike of anything with a number in place of a word in the title. Especially if that title is about dancing in da' streets where real gangstas prove their stuff, yo.

No comments: