Thursday, January 3, 2008

There Will Be Blood- Preview

When you throw Daniel Day-Lewis' name around, my ears perk up. When you attach it to a director like Paul Thomas Anderson (Boogie Nights, Magnolia, Punch Drunk Love), I sit up and beg.

The first time I saw the trailer for There Will Be Blood, I was floored. There was more content in those one-point-five minutes than half the schlock coming out of Hollywood these days.

In the film, Day-Lewis plays Daniel Plainview, an early oil prospector trying to make a killing in Texas. When he struts into a family oriented, religious town with his sweet-talkin-swagger, more than a few feathers get ruffled. How far will greed drive Plainview in his quest for a profit? I’m hoping the answer is “very, very.” The title isn’t “Diggin’ For Oil With Fuzzy Kittens,” so I have a feeling my wish will be granted.

When a movie grabs my attention as much as There Will Be Blood, I do my best not to do too much homework in order to better enjoy what the film has to offer; so the above synopsis is where my knowledge of the film ends.

Mark my words, though—this one is going to be fantastic. Day-Lewis is one of the best cats to ever grace the silver screen and the half-second bits of dialogue on display in the trailer are enough to convince me this will easily contend for his best performance to date.

I don’t like getting my hopes up too high, but I don’t think I can go wrong with this one. The film hit in limited release Dec. 26, so I plan to hunt this one down over the weekend.

Have any of you seen it yet? What were your thoughts?

No comments: