Friday, August 27, 2010

UFC 118: Edgar vs. Penn 2- Ryan calls it

UFC 118 is here and shaping up to be a great night for fight fans with a card full of big bouts. Featuring the much anticipated rematch of BJ Penn and Frankie Edgar, as well as a battle between a legend of the boxing ring and a legend of the octagon, not to mention several other top fighters featured in the remainder of the main fights, this could shape up to be one of the most entertaining cards of the year.

Nate Diaz vs. Marcus Davis
Starting the night out will be Diaz and Davis, two well rounded fighters with nearly identical fighting styles. The biggest aspect separating these two is Davis' abundance of experience. Diaz, though, has a massive six inch reach advantage and enough heart to go around. I don't want to short guess Davis, but Diaz is hungry for a shot at the top and that motivation will likely earn him the decision.

Kenny Florian vs. Gray Maynard
Let's go, K Flo! Seriously, there's few fighters who are more well rounded than the Floster. Problem is, I haven't been too excited by his last couple of fights. Maynard is something of a bully, so that should contrast nicely to Florian's clean-cut approach. I don't see either being able to get the KO, and as good a wrestler as Maynard is, Florian has the edge on the ground. If it end before the final bell, it'll be with Maynard submitting.

Demian Maia vs. Mario Miranda
It's my fault, but I'm not too familiar with either Maia or Miranda. What I've gathered from perusing the internets is that we should be in for a fairly entertaining fight. Miranda looks comfortable no matter where the fight goes and Maia is almost exclusively a ground man. It's been my experience you shouldn't call a fight against a man whose first name is so close to that of the ruler of hell, however, so for no other reason than that, I'm going with Mr. Satan.

Randy Couture vs. James Toney
Ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod! I have a feeling pretty much every fight fan ever born is excited to see how this one goes down. My mind says Couture is the clear winner but, in this sport, absolutely anything can happen. I, for one, do not consider this the MMA vs Boxing end-all many seem to be billing it as. It's a silly thing to argue, in my mind, so my joy in seeing these two giants tee off on each other is as simple as enjoying an interesting matchup. Toney, of course, has the opportunity to catch Couture and turn out the lights. That being the case, I can't see Captain America NOT going for the takedown rather quickly. Put him against the cage, dirty box the hell out of him, flip him onto his back and win the fight where he's weakest by punching him many, many times across the noggin.

Frankie Edgar vs. BJ Penn
Edgar bested Penn in their first outing at UFC 112 and “The Prodigy” is looking for a little payback at 118. Another well-matched fight, I'm hoping we don't make it to a decision this time around. For one, Penn looks better than I've seen him in years. For another, he's got his hunger back. If he can avoid being knocked loopy this time, I see Penn adding another loss to Edgar's record. Call me crazy, but once the fight gets rolling, I see Penn bringing it to the mat where he will quickly move in for the submission.

No comments: