Friday, May 7, 2010

UFC 113: Machida vs. Rua 2

UFC 113 is here and, I’ve got to be honest, this card kind of snuck up on me.

The five fights set as the main event should all be entertaining bouts between some tough competitors.

Given the rather disappointing MMA events over the past couple months, I’m looking forward to this weekend’s fights reigniting my excitement for the sport.

Patrick Cote vs. Alan Belcher
The evening kicks off with a fight between two well-rounded dudes sporting identical records. Cote was on the warpath until he ran into the buzzsaw known as Anderson Silva and I fully expect him to pick back up where he left off in this fight with Belcher. I like Belcher and all, but Cote is like version 2.0 of the same fighter. Everything Belcher can do, Cote can do better.

Kimbo Slice vs. Matt Mitrione
Taking out Kimbo would be very good news for upstart Mitione, but Slice has looked better every time I’ve seen him fight. He’s like a sponge when it comes to training, genuinely in love with the sport and willing to do anything and everything his coaches tell him to become a better athlete. It’s worked so far and I hope to see the trend continue this week.

Jeremy Stephens vs. Sam Stout
This fight is the one knockout fans don’t want to use as a bathroom break. Both Stephens and Stout are big hitters. The problem is, Stout has trouble finishing whereas Stephens will gladly turn you into a narcoleptic. In short, Stout better have a pillow tied to the back of his head, just in case.

Josh Koscheck vs. Paul Daley
Koscheck is a mean dude and, despite my dislike of the guy, I can’t deny his abilities as a fighter. Both Kos and Daley are looking for their third straight win in hopes of continuing the title hunt and this one will likely be decided by where the fight ends up. Daley should have the upper hand if it comes to blows, but if Koscheck can get him on the mat, and I think he can, then this one will likely swing in his favor.

Lyoto Machida vs. Mauricio Rua
Can Rua bring an end to Machida’s perfect record and claim the belt for himself? Possible, but I don’t see it happening. Don’t get me wrong. Rua is an animal. But Machida is only just beginning to show the world what he can do. I’ve always thought of him as a storm brewing. He’s gotten more and more comfortable in the octagon and his skill set has proven to be wide reaching. This week, I expect him to prove in spectacular fashion the belt still belongs around his waist.

2 comments:

Jess said...

TJ's gonna be mad when he reads you didn't mention Tom Lawlor!

-Ryan Winslett said...

We've already discussed that. Basically, I said I was too lazy to bother mention it and he said "Kay."