Friday, March 26, 2010

UFC 111: St-Pierre vs Hardy- Echo calls it

Is it just me or does Hardy look less like he wants to punch someone and more like he wants you to try to pluck a pebble from his hand? I'm no big-time photographer, but I'm pretty sure a reshoot was in order on this one.

This card is interesting because we've got three fights in a row pitting less experienced up-and-comers against some fairly seasoned veterans. I'm fond of these match-ups because the more experienced fighter never wants to get beaten by the young buck and said whipper-snapper knows toppling a big dog is a great way to garner attention. Did I use enough silly nicknames there? Good. On to the predictions...


Jim Miller vs. Mark Bocek
The evening will begin with two fighters who love to bring a fight to the ground. It's hard to give the less experienced Bocek a puncher's chance call when pulling off a knockout from your back is extremely difficult. If I didn't spell that one out clearly enough, here goes my second try: Miller's extra time spent in the octagon is going to make the difference when this one goes to the mat.

Jon Fitch vs. Ben Saunders
Another fight likely to see two guys rolling around on the mat, the veteran, Fitch, will once again show that experience counts for a lot in this sport. The good news for Saunders is that any fight with Fitch is sure to make him into a better fighter, even if he does only recall bits and pieces due to repeated blows to the head.

Kurt Pellegrino vs. Fabricio Camoes
Pellegrino simply has a better skill set and that comes from, say it with me now, more experience. I don't know if he'll make short work of Camoes, but I do see him walking away victorious.

Frank Mir vs. Shane Carwin
The only fighter I dislike more than Brock Lesnar is Frank Mir. Therefore, I'm torn. Do I want Carwin to pull off the upset because nothing would please me more than to see Mir get knocked out, or do I hope for Mir to win so Lesnar can send him into a hilarious state of depression with another overwhelming victory? Screw it. Carwin...Please hit him a lot. Thanks.

Georges St-Pierre vs. Dan Hardy
The only fighters I dislike more than Dan Hardy are Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir. Are you sensing a pattern here? In this fight, at least, I feel relatively positive (is that even possible?) Gorgeous Georges is going to absolutely trounce the competition. I expect Hardy to have a tough time talking trash with Frenadian Jesus' foot wedged between his jaws.

2 comments:

jess said...

dangit! i forgot to use a Gorgeous Georges mention! you win this round, echo.

-Ryan Winslett said...

*does a victory dance followed by "Yes" cartwheels*