Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Reviews: Benjamin Button and Wristcutters

I got to take in a couple movies recently and, well, here’s what I thought.


Wristcutters: A Love Story- I know most of you won’t be willing to try this, but maybe some of you will humor me. Don’t read up on Wristcutters: A Love Story. Just go rent it, buy it or add it to your Netflix and watch it.

I say this because I think extra enjoyment can be had with this one if you just go in not knowing what to expect. Seriously, don’t even read the back of the box. Just go for it.

So as not to ruin my own experiment, I’ll just say this is one of my favorite movies of last year (if not my absolute favorite) and it has more creativity in any two-minute segment than most movies have these days in the full runtime.

I think I would feel genuine sympathy for anyone unable to enjoy this film. So go do so.
If you do, be sure to let me know what you thought in the comments.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button- I got to see The CC of BB a couple weeks ago and, well, I procrastinated on getting you lovely readers my review. Here it is now. So stop asking already.

Yes, it’s long. And yes, it could stand to have a couple scenes snipped out every here and there. But, honestly, I sat through all two-and-a-half hours of Benj Butt and didn’t get antsy even once.

With such a strong focus on the passage of time and how it affects us normal folks and the curious fellow the movie follows around, a slower pace and special attention to certain characters felt fitting.

In fact, I thought more time could have been spent on several of the film’s inhabitants to give their supposedly important influence on Ben’s life a bit more heft.

Length aside, Button is a fine, almost epic film that poses several intriguing questions and wows with its subtle, yet breathtaking special effects. It’s somber and somewhat stagnant, but again, this feels oddly fitting.

I walked out feeling like I had witnessed something unique and, these days, that’s a rare accomplishment in the land of movies.

I’m trying to think of a fair comparison to better focus this “review” so you’ll know if the film is worth a watch. Sadly, I can come up with none. I suppose it’s safe to simply say, if the trailer intrigued you, you probably have little to lose giving Benjamin Button a fair shake.

No comments: