Friday, January 9, 2009

Movie of the week: The Wrestler

I’m a fan of Mickey Rourke. So when a movie (The Wrestler) comes along claiming to be the film that will re-launch his career, I’m intrigued.

When that film is directed by Darren Aronofski, I’m basically sold.

But when that film stars Mickey Rourke, is directed by Darren Aronofski AND revolves around the twilight years of a down-on-his-luck amateur wrestler fighting to stay in the game, well, I’m officially geeking out.

Don’t get me wrong, I greatly dislike wrestling these days. Nothing against the athletes themselves, I just hate the overdone theatrics and gag-worthy drama the sport has become known for over the past 15 years. I can’t deny, though, my childhood love for such things.

I had the thumb wrestlers, action figures and even an Ultimate Warrior wrestling buddy to take out my aggression on. I lovingly recall the days of Andre the Giant, the Iron Shiek and Rowdy Roddy Piper. I remember making sure my butt was firmly planted in front of the TV every time WWF was on.

I think it’s my ties to these simpler days of wrestling that draws me to The Wrestler's story of an aging, no-frills, old fashioned grappler not trying to make it to the big show so much as continue doing the only thing he loves in life no matter what his body demands to the contrary.

Anyway, enough of that. Just go see The Wreslter. If early reviews serve as a gauge, it’s looking like an absolute winner.

No comments: