Tuesday, December 4, 2007

I Am Legend- Preview

First of all, Will Smith, I don’t like the arrogant tone your new movie’s title takes. Who are you to claim “legendary” status? I don’t like it. Not one bit.

All that aside, I am looking forward to seeing Mr. Smith take on some vampires. He’s already fought aliens and robots, so why not go for the trifecta? I’m a little nervous the bar has been set a bit too high now since the next film will have to feature the Fresh Prince doing battle with Ninja-zombie-pirate-monkeys to get my attention. And by “the Fresh Prince,” I mean I expect Smith to reclaim his original role for this next endeavor. Can you imagine the awesomeness?

When it comes to books being made into movies, my preferences are hard to pin down. Some I’d rather see stay faithful to the source material. Others I like to stray from the known path into new territory where the screenwriter is given the opportunity to re-envasion the story. In the case of I Am Legend, I’m all for this new twist on the classic vampire tale.

Smith has an undeniable charm, so I don’t doubt he’ll be able to carry the film by his onesies. I do, however, fear the film being used as a vehicle for shoving political, ethical and environmental messages down my throat. “Don’t screw with genetics.” “We’re not God.” “Biological warfare is bad.” Yadda-yadda-yadda. I get it.

So long as I Am Legend stays true to its creepy, tense roots without getting too preachy, I’m game. Otherwise, I have no qualms with verbally heckling this flick throughout its entire runtime. I invite you all to join me. I’ll be the guy at the back of the theater doing his best impersonation of Mr. Prince’s ridiculous laugh. Heeeeh. Heeeeeeh. Heeeeeeeh.

No comments: