Friday, December 11, 2009

UFC 107: Penn vs. Sanchez- Echo calls it

Is it just me or does it feel like we're watching a new UFC card just about every week now? Don't get me wrong, I like to watch a bunch of dudes kick each other's faces just as much as the next guy. There's no second part to that comment, I just don't want you to get me wrong.

Paul Buentello vs. Stefan Struve
Buentello is a big 235 while Struve is one of the tallest guys in the sport. I'm interested to see how these guys stack up when they are actually standing toe to toe. As for me, I think Struve is going to have the upper hand here and will likely pull out the decision.

Kenny Florian vs. Clay Guida
Kenny Florian is a great fighter and, despite what some may say, I think Clay Guida is one of the most exciting guys to watch in the octagon. While his smothering ground game has led to some snoozefests, he's fast, is never afraid to stand and fights like a rabid caveman. In short, I refuse to call against Guida. I actually see this one staying on its feet until Guida knocks Florian down and pummels his face until the ref finally pulls him off.

Jon Fitch vs. Mike Pierce
I'll give Pierce credit for being decently impressive in his somewhat short career. That being said, Fitch is going to absolutely crush the guy. Johnny boy is on his way up the ranks and Pierce is going to be little more than a stepping stone.

Frank Mir vs. Cheick Kongo
As much as I hate the guy, I can admit Mir is a solid fighter. Kongo, though, is the BETTER fighter, and will prove so when he knocks Mir out cold on his feet.

BJ Penn vs. Diego Sanchez
Penn is one of the best fighters in the world and he's now breaking noses at his ideal weight. Sanchez has more fights under his belt, but Penn's history consists of some of the best combatants out there. To be as vague as possible, Sanchez has more experience, but Penn has tons more experience. However, Sanchez is an amazing athlete and I would never say Penn is going to walk all over him, but I do see Penn managing a convincing decision in this one.

No comments: