Thursday, April 16, 2009

Krod Mandoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire: Watch it.

Being such a big fan of various forms of entertainment, the one shiny thing I often allow myself to overlook is television. What with all the video console games and funny books I have stacked up and waiting for my attention, the boob tube takes a back seat when it comes to what precious little free time I have.

Don't get me wrong. I love a good television show as much as the next guy. I just don't want my life to revert back to those days when I knew what day of the week it was based on what must-see set of shows I had written in stone upon my calendar for that evening.

That being said, I think I'll be clearing 30 minutes of my Thursday nights for a while to see where the new Comedy Central show Krod Mandoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire will take me.

I tuned in for the hour-long premiere last week and found myself chuckling through the whole damn show. It was as humorous as the title is redundant.

Sure, some of the gags are a miss and the homophobia dances between good-natured and annoyingly fratish, but the vast majority of Krod was a huge breath of fresh air.

Giving a great big middle finger to the likes of Legend of the Seeker, which can take itself a bit too seriously, Krod comes off as a mix between the classic Hercules series and something Monty Python might cook up. The humor is a sweet mix of American and British and it works surprisingly well.

The story is torn straight from every epic fantasy adventure ever written, but there's a clever heart beating under the surface, taking stereotypes and turning them on their side in order to draw genuine laughs. The characters, too, are tops. From their witty dialogue to their great facial expressions, all have something unique to offer and all are fun to watch.

If you get a chance, check it out Thursday nights at 10 p.m. And be sure to let me know what you think. I'm curious to see how many people are watching.

No comments: